Stuff

Essentials

  • Activity

    November 2011
    S M T W T F S
    « Oct   Jan »
     12345
    6789101112
    13141516171819
    20212223242526
    27282930  
  • Thumbed Up Love

  • Save the Puppies

    teh puppyblender
  • Corporate

  • Remember

  • Archives

  • Categories

  • Meta

Archive for "Nov 07 2011"

Media Battlezone Prep: Pretty Vacant

The plaza of Zuccotti Park.

Zuccotti before the infestation Image via Wikipedia

This is the second of a recurring series. The first installment is here.

Back on September 17, 2011, a bunch of idealistic, disillusioned protesters gathered in Lower Manhattan to protest, as is their wont. The target of their ire was the barons of Wall Street; the fat cats, the oligarchs, the insanely rich “1%” of society who were, in their eyes, robbing the other 99% of what was rightfully theirs, and this plucky band of would-be Robin Hoods were calling those Brooks Brothers-clad, would be Rulers of Nottingham to account.

They called themselves Occupy Wall Street. The Left’s citizen uprising had begun!

“Beware, Teabaggers, beware! Our grass-roots are deeper than yours!”

Not really. Not even close.

What ended up corralled in Zuccotti Park back then had no resemblance to the people who rallied under the Tea Party flag, following CNBC reporter Rick Santelli unleashing his call to arms, which almost immediately went viral, and became known as The Rant Heard ‘Round the World:

‘The government is promoting bad behavior… do we really want to subsidize the losers’ mortgages… This is America! How many of you people want to pay for your neighbor’s mortgage? President Obama are you listening? How about we all stop paying our mortgage! It’s a moral hazard’…

The Tea Party movement’s message was simple: the Federal government had turned into Leviathan, an insatiable monster whose size and appetite was out of control and would irreparably cripple the country. Federal overreach into every facet of society, via an ever expanding regulatory machine requiring an ever expanding revenue stream, flew in the face of the enumerated powers given it by the Constitution.

It threatened to bring the American economy to its knees, by squeezing productive members of society to give up their earnings, to subsidize people deigned “needy” by the powers-that-be, needy because they were irresponsible assholes who needed Uncle Sugar to maintain their over-indulgent lifestyles in the manner they had become accustomed.

The Tea Party’s response was “HELL NO!” It had to stop, and it had to stop now.

Read More ›

Other Stuff

Search

Advertisment ad adsense adlogger